Whirlwind of Fire

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

De rien

It means "You're welcome" in French.  For some reason I opted to learn French instead of Spanish on Duolingo a couple days ago.  Can't say for sure why that was the choice I made, given that I have always said I want to learn Spanish; but when it comes down to it, French is just so much more romantic and diplomatic.  There was no choice, really.  And I just say Midnight in Paris, again, so that might have had some leverage on the decision as well.

First love, books. Second love, languages.  Only because languages allow me to read books.  It's a tool, a gateway into another world.  Language is so nuanced, and when you read a translated work, it's like an itch you can't scratch.  Because deep down inside, you can feel that the author is trying to convey something through the intricacies of the original language, and you tend to lose some in translation.  There are times when it's frustrating when this situation arises; fortunately for me it's becoming less and less.

I am fortunate.  I am fortunate that I got to come to Canada and received an English education which allowed me to read so much more.  Then I studied some Japanese, and that really helped with my manga education as well.  But when I see my copies of Haruki Murakami's Japanese books, I get a little bit sad.  Because I can't read them anymore.

I should really brush up on my Japanese.  French is just for fun.  It's not like I am going to study it to the extent that I can read Dumas and Moliere.

But I am forever grateful for Chinese and English.  Ain't nobody got nothing on the five thousand years of history and Shakespeare.  Heart Shakespeare, and so should you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home