Whirlwind of Fire

Monday, January 20, 2014

Nothing new under the sun

After two and half weeks of ecstasy, I am again left without new Sherlock episodes in my life.  Yes, series 3 had descended upon us, devastated and traumatized all in its path, and left with yet another cliffhanger.  Consider how they killed off Sherlock the last time they had a season-finale cliffhanger, I suppose we should all be so thankful to the maniacal geniuses of Moffat and Gatiss.

Those bastards.

And Sherlock, glorious Sherlock.  It saddens me that series 3 focused on a singular arc of relationship development for Sherlock.  They said Mary wouldn't change the dynamic between Sherlock and Watson, but she definitely changed the way the show was written.  It's not as... smart anymore.  There wasn't a case to solve or even much investigation going on, IN ALL THREE EPISODES.  Obviously the Sherlock fandom is vast and all-encompassing, and it's a beautiful thing to 'ship' characters and theorize about everything and anything in each and every one of the scenes.  But if I can just for once, get away from Benedict Cumberbatch's dreamy eyes, I can honestly say that series 3 was my least favorite, simply because Sherlock was not solving crimes of clients, he was solving crimes out of necessity.  The necessity to push the plot forward.

Ah yes, it's all very clever with all the twists and turns, and the big 'a-ha' moment when the audience realize everything ties together, that every scene has its reason of being.  However, it was simply frustrating to me that Sherlock is no longer solving crimes because he was asked to consult, he was solving crimes because it was national security, or because his loved ones were being threatened.  How many nemesis can one have?  How many times can a person go head to head with one's nemesis(es)? I miss the old days of clients coming in for consultation, and not everything was tied to Moriarty.  Moriarty was the beginning of the end.

That being said, I still really enjoyed Andrew Scott's return.  I really did miss him.  He was another class of criminals.  And he was so dramatic.  I feel like Sherlock was not the same without Moriarty.  Mssrs. Moffat & Gattis, get your act together, stick closer to ACD's original cases, please.  It would mean so much to a traditionalist fan like me.

Le rant.  Makes me feel le stupid.

There are other things going on in my life. I am planning ahead, I am learning, I am applying to new jobs.  And I know I get too obsessive over BC and Sherlock.  But true love is serious business, and I am a very serious person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home